DIY DON'T BUY
Why not simply make it yourself instead of buying new? Let's get creative and create something new from small leftovers.
If you want to create something new with materials you've had lying around for a long time anyway, then you've come to the right place! We no longer want to spend money on small knick-knacks, but rather create last-minute gifts or favourite pieces for ourselves with cool DIY projects.
The Japanese KNOT BAG is perfect for a DIY project. It's a great everyday companion, the cut is quick to make and you only need a small amount of material. We'll show you how to do it here:
This is what you need for your KNOT BAG:
- Residual material:
- approx. 2 x 60x40cm
- We have used Walk, but you can also use an old pair of jeans
- Tailor's chalk (if you don't have any, you can also draw on the fabric with a bar of soap)
- Sewing machine
- Ironing board and iron
And that's it already! So grab your things and let's get started.
Step 1 - create the cut
In the picture you can see the dimensions of our KNOT BAG, of course you can customise them to your own requirements. Our bag is designed so that it can also be worn over the shoulder. We have therefore made sure that the straps are long enough.
- draw a rectangle, our dimensions: 55×35 cm
- halve the rectangle
- measure 3cm from the top right-hand corner and make a mark here
- From the 3cm, measure another 9cm to the right and make a second mark, this is your strap width
- zeichne von den Markierungen zwei parallele Linien nach unten
- Now do the same on the other side for the second beam
- this carrier is only 17cm, i.e. shorter than the other one
- Now you just need to flatten the corners: make small marks so that the curves are even
- Seam allowances: Walk does not fray, which is why we do not need seam allowances on the open edges, i.e. the side edges of the straps. Add 1cm to the bag and 0.5cm to the upper edges of the straps
To get an even cut, you can fold it vertically in the centre and then cut it out. However, make sure to shorten the left strap 😉
Step 2 - the cut
- ✂️ 2x Knot Bag
- now place your pattern on your piece of fabric
- if your leftover fabric allows, double it so you can cut both pieces at the same time
- draw around the cut with your chalk, don't forget the seam allowances
- Snip snip and you have the two pattern pieces for your KNOT BAG - quite simple, isn't it?
Step 3 - time to sew
- lay the two pattern pieces right sides together - i.e. the pretty sides on top of each other
- now finish the bag with a 1cm seam allowance
- cut into the curves to make them lie more beautifully
- shorten the seam allowances
- now sew the carrier seams together so that the edges overlap by 0.5 cm
That's it! Your KNOT BAG is ready
Try out different sizes, you can use them as small, reusable gift bags, as larger bags for shopping or as fashionable accessories for your outfit. Be creative and send us your results on Instagram. We are excited!